We hope you saw our new ad on Facebook (see right) or our full-color PSOD insert that was delivered to Eden Prairie and surrounding communities last weekend. In reality, we know you could have easily missed it. This time of year we’re all bombarded with brochures, postcards and coupons from every organized activity in town! We are fortunate to have so many excellent options where we live, but the breadth of possibilities can be overwhelming! From ice skating to karate and gymnastics to tennis (we could go on and on) you may find yourself wondering, “Why dance?” Excellent question; hopefully we’ll provide you with some solid answers enabling you to register at PSOD with sheer confidence.
There’s no doubting the pay-offs of dancing as exercise – it burns calories (up to 600 per hour for the pros), tones and strengthens the whole body, increases flexibility and improves skills such as coordination and rhythm. But perhaps the most important factor of all for children is that it’s fun and engaging. There’s no glancing at the clock to see how long you’ve got left, or daydreaming about what you are going to have for dinner – children have to stay focused and ‘in the present’ in order to keep up with their teacher. (This also makes dance a great stress reliever for adults, as you are forced to put aside your day-to-day worries and frustrations to concentrate on the class!)
Your children do not need to be professional dancers! The lessons they learn in our Prairie School of Dance studios (and on-stage at performances) will guide them through the rest of their lives. What can you expect of your children who dance?
- They will have learned the value of hard work, to push themselves beyond their self-imposed limitations.
- They will have an awareness of space and time, artistry and music.
- They will face fears and learn to overcome them.
- They will struggle with difficult skills and master them through practice.
- They will grow weary from repetition but appreciate earned endurance.
- They will be challenged and encouraged by their peers and teachers, learning to work in a group and as individuals.
- They will be taught the meaning of inner beauty and true character.
- They will stare at their reflection in floor-to-ceiling mirrors and be encouraged to see themselves through God’s loving and grace-filled lens.
- They will ultimately move through life with more grace, for themselves and for others.
- They will turn heads in a crowd when the music picks up because at the end of the day, they know how to dance!
If you still have questions, any one of our instructors would be glad to visit with you. PSOD teachers LOVE TO DANCE and they’d be delighted to share how their commitment to studying dance has enriched their lives. Registration is still open for many fall classes so please, enroll online today!